A Historic Church
Trinity Episcopal Church, Niles is the oldest church in the Episcopal Diocese of Western Michigan. The congregation just celebrated its 180-year anniversary in 2016.
In 1834 Niles consisted of 14 houses. Where the church now stands was the primeval forest, and a corn field stretched from there to the river. The first church edifice was built and it was a frame building 55 x 40 feet with a square belfry on the front gable fronting the West, as was proper. It was consecrated on September 10, 1836 by the Rt. Rev. Samuel A McCoskty, Bishop of Michigan.
History of Trinity Episcopal Church by Blanche Millard Parkin
Trinity church is blessed to have Virginia Strayer in our congregation and she has a wealth of information. Mrs. Strayer just celebrated her 103rd birthday and we wish her well and expect she will be filling in our history for many more years.